Brief History of Mount Barker
In 1830 explorer Charles Sturt arrived at Lake Alexandrina and, taking his bearings of the area, thought that Mount Lofty and Mount Barker were the same landmark. The following year Captain Collet Barker proved that they were in fact two separate mountains and Sturt subsequently renamed Mount Barker in his honour.
Prior to white settlement the area was inhabited by the Peramangk Aborigines and the mount was also frequented by the eastern Narrinyeri people. The mountain was known as 'Yaktanga' by the local Aboriginal people and 'Womm Mu Kurta' by the eastern Aboriginal tribes.
A survey of the land in the Mount Barker area was carried out for landowner Duncan McFarlane by the end of the 1830s and land was sold for farming and grazing.
Postal services to Mount Barker commenced by 1842. The first official post office, a double-storey, brick building, was constructed in the township in 1860. A new stuccoed post office building was built in English Domestic Revival-style adjacent the old post office between 1913 and 1915.
The town developed as a milling centre with the establishment of early flour mills in the 1840s.
The former police station and stables were constructed in 1878.
The railway reached Mount Barker from Adelaide in 1883.
Over the years the Mount Barker township has moved away from its rural origins and it has now developed into one of Adelaide's dormitory suburbs and is an important service centre in the Adelaide Hills. It is located around 30 kilometres from the centre of the capital city.
Google Map of Mount Barker